Sunday, March 15, 2015

My New Girlfriend & Boyfriend

I don't have guy friends. 
Ok, I have one. 
I've never been one of those girls who has tons of guy friends. 
I don't even understand how that works. 
Any guy friend I've had we always end up sleeping together. 
What else am I supposed to do with a guy?
Play video games?

So when I met Guy who was becoming my friend I was nervous. 
That makes me sound like such a raging egotist. 
Why would I be nervous?
Because he's gonna back me up against the wall and tear my clothes off and his girlfriend's heart will be broken because I'm such a little home wrecker?
More like I'm such a little Drama Queen.

I am distrustful of men's intentions toward me. 
I don't think that makes me cynical. 
That just makes me experienced. 

Last week they redid the plumbing in my apartment and there were several young guys traipsing in and out of my apartment all week. 
One plumber in particular was extra attentive and chatty. 
He was helpful and friendly and went out of his way to do any little extra thing he could to try and help around the place to win my favor. 
It was kind of sweet. 
I worried he might ask for my phone number the last day they were there. 
But no, oh no, I didn't need to worry about that. 
I needed to worry about him coping a feel. 
That's right, the plumber, in my own home, reached out as I walked by like they were his for the taking. 



This is what I am to men. 
That's why I don't have guy friends. 

But this particular Guy had reached out to me unexpectedly and it turned out he really did just want to be my friend. 
Every time we go out we have the best conversations and he has something brilliant to share with me, about life, about hope. 
He's like this old wise man trapped in this young kids body. 

And then he invited me to come over one night and meet his girlfriend. 
I was so nervous. 

'She is gonna hate me,' I thought. 
What woman's gonna like a girl like me spending time with her man?

But we hit it off so well we stayed up talking late into the night, long after Guy had gone to sleep. 
And she confided in me that she'd only ever had a few girlfriends and always only had male friends. 
And I thought how Life really does know what She's doing when she crosses people's paths. 

And then the next day Guy told me that me and her must have had a good night together because she talked about how happy she was and how she appreciated him. 
And they both really needed to hear that. 

And I really needed to be a part of that. 

And to realize I can have girlfriends and boyfriends. With girlfriends. 

In rare special instances. 
And that was really fucking rad.


No comments:

Post a Comment