Monday, November 16, 2015

My Joy is in Your Flesh

There is this chronic need in my generation to find joy in isolation. 

When a girl is single you know what everyone tells her?
You should be happy being alone.
They tell her that the only real joy she'll find is when she can feel joy by herself. 
A friend of mine recently wrote how much peace she felt eating dinner alone and that more people should do the same. 

People like to make others feel that their need for someone is a mistake. 
Because needing anyone, other than your own company, is a weakness. 
It's a dissatisfaction in self and contentment. 
And I think that that's all a bunch of shit. 

Into the Wild, which found great success in both film and literature, ended with the hero leaving one final message to the world--

Happiness only real when shared. 

And of course because he died, because he went off and sought to experience life alone it's ok to accept his discovery that the greatest joy is only truly experienced in the presence of another. 
And it's ok in that context because, after all, it's just a story. 

Except it's based on an actual real story. 

Life IS better shared. 

And I'm so fucking sick of the world wanting everyone to "be okay" alone. 
God created Eve because it wasn't good for Adam to be alone.
It doesn't make us weak to need each other. 
It's how we're wired.

I have some of the most amazing people in my life right now. 
I have known friendships my entire life. 
But the bonds I've formed now feel like family. 
We're fucking blood. 
My sisters are the friends I could call at three in the morning. 
That idea about having a friend whose such a good friend they would help you bury a body?
I have several of those friends. 
And they would all admit they would totally stand in the dirt with me. 
In the rain.
With a shovel.
I am one lucky bitch. 

And sometimes, I truly need them. 
And that doesn't mean I don't find contentment in my own company. 
It means sometimes in that moment, for that night, I don't want to be alone. 

Sometimes I need to drink with my girlfriend and cry to her about the boy who will never text me again. 
Sometimes I need to be in the arms of a stranger. 
I need to feel wanted and desirable. 
I need my skin to be in the hands of some mans. 
And that doesn't mean I don't think I'm beautiful. 
That means in that moment I need to be fucked. 
Sometimes I do need to be alone. 
And I need to feel everything I'm feeling and I need to think everything I maybe shouldn't even be thinking. 
And those nights I am content exclusively having only my own company. 

But I'm not of only one desire. 
My mood changes and my needs shift. 
And just because I'm not okay being alone one moment does not mean I'm wrong or weak or lacking. 
Anything. 

I'm simply existing. 

And if it took someone's death to realize happiness exists in its purest form when shared, how can anyone begrudge any of us the desire to share happiness while we're full of life?

I am NOT enough. 
And I am proud to say I need my relationships to experience great joy. 
I need my sisters. 
And I need my fucks.
And I need love. 

And I would never, ever want to pretend that I'm above needing anyone. 

Sometimes I can stare out my window and see the sun and feel content alone in my bed. 
And sometimes I need someone there so I can nuzzle into his chest and breathe with him and not feel so fucking alone. 

And whatever I need, whatever anyone needs, they should fucking reach to the moon to get it. 
And no one should make them feel wrong for seeking it. 

Because happiness is greatest when shared. 
And how can anyone feel weak for realizing that?







No comments:

Post a Comment