Sunday, November 29, 2015

So Happy.

Are you happy? she asked me.
I smiled. Yeah. I am.



Thanksgiving morning I woke up and my mind wandered.
It played a montage of their faces. 
Where they might be, what they were doing at this moment.
The Phantom rolled over and kissed his girlfriend and smiled. 
Sheldon's mother hugged him while he stood motionless and hid the smile on his lips. 
And I layed there smiling imagining all of it.

I thought I was going to be sad.

This is the first holiday I've spent without my old friend and I expected it to be harder. 

It's amazing how quickly someone can become a stranger. 

But I didn't have any room for sadness. 
I was too happy. 

And then he texted me. 
My loving sunshine. 
And he was laying in his bed. 
Smiling. 
And my mother sent me a rainbow from where she sat in Maui.
And there was an energy around me that made my heart swell.

I spent so many months of this year feeling so lonely. 
And alone. 
And lost. 

And now. 
Now I had someone meeting me for coffee just because seeing me means that much to him.
Can you imagine?
After neither of them wanted to look at me again?

Starbucks.
The beginning.

Like some old bar we kept returning to.
Because they made our favorite drink. 
And our favorite bartender made it unlike any other. 

And then he went on his way and I filled my arms with mochas.
And delivered them to my second family. 
And they danced around the kitchen in their pajamas like the couple I've always wanted to be a part of. 
So much absurdity. 
And such love. 
And my heart was so full. 

And then there was more. 

And I drove to my soul sister's family. 
And when I walked in I became a part of it. 
And we laughed and drank and I fell in love a little bit more. 
I sat on the kiddie side of the table and the 7 year old drew me a rainbow. 
And my name was on a leaf next to the other dozen names around the table. 
And I thought I'd stay an hour and four hours later I had to tear myself away. 

And I drove again and forgot to miss anyone. 
And I sat at the piano and more joy sang from my lips.
And then he texted me. 
My loving moon.

And none of this year has been simple. 
And I'd never ask it to be. 
But this day, on this very special day, nothing existed but love. 

The faces I saw. 
The arms that held me. 
The friends who smiled with me. 
Flooded my heart with so much overwhelming joy it all faded away. 
Each dark cloud. 
Every cold stare. 

And there was nothing left but love. 
And the moon. 
And the revelation that I already had everything I could ever ask for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment