Thursday, March 17, 2016

this candid lady

I actually got there early. 
I'm never early. 
My friends will plan on arriving at least fifteen minutes after I say I'll be somewhere because they know me. 
But for some reason I left on time and got there early. 
I sat at one of my favorite booths, which happened to be right beside a couple. 
The girl said, Maybe I should just go over there, maybe I should just show up.
And the guy, excessively supportive, replied, Oh yeah, you should, you definitely should...You wanna split a grilled cheese?
And I looked at him and smiled. 
She thought they were just friends.
That she could vent about her ex like he was one of her girlfriends. 
He totally wants to fuck her, I thought. 
And she had no idea.
We're often clueless about how people really feel about us. 
Often because they want us to be in the dark. 

For some reason, though, I felt compelled to cast the truth upon this beautiful girl, bemoaning the man who broke her heart. 
Her companion left to check his hair in the bathroom mirror and I just looked at her. 
I didn't say anything. 
But she felt my glance and looked back at me. 
Hello, she said, slightly uncomfortable. 
You two are just friends, right? I stated, more than asked.
Yeah.
I shook my head. No, he's totally into you. He doesn't want to be just friends. 
She laughed, But I've been sitting here talking about my ex the whole night.
It doesn't matter, I said, He's clearly crazy about you.
She smiled, in a surprisingly sincere way. 
Well I appreciate you being so candid.

And she was so beautiful. 
Stunningly beautiful. 
And to hear her speak it was like she believed the only one who could ever want her was this ex.
Maybe he's not even home, he hasn't posted anything on Instagram all day, and when I'd heard her say that I looked at my friend and we both laughed. 
We should be friends with this girl. She sounds like us, I whispered. 

It's really easy to see your life in this tiny scope, where the only relationships are the ones you've known with the people you're already used to.
And there are actually, not surprisingly, corners full of new encounters and waves of energy, capable of reminding you that the You you are is delightful. 
And sharing what you are with the strangers receptive to that energy is one of the loveliest parts of any night. 
And people say to screw those who don't appreciate you, fuck 'em, you don't need 'em.
But you know, it's actually not even about them. 
It's about the fact that your energy is needed somewhere else.
There's someone who desperately needs a dose of you, and if you haven't found them, if they aren't snuggled up in the booth beside you, then keep moving. 
Because trust me, someone needs you.
And whether it's your friend or your lover or a perfect stranger, the smile on their face as their eyes twinkle when they look into your face will make the rest of the world fall away. 
Until all you see is what's right in front of you--

Everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment